Friday, August 03, 2012

Kindle Fire - Part 2


The ongoing story of my first use of a Kindle Fire...

My first thought with the Fire in hand was how to get it setup and associating it with my Amazon account.  On other Android devices I’ve used setup began with turning the device on and immediately being asked to connect the device with a Google account.  The Fire does not care if you have a Google account or not, but the device is only useful when associated with an Amazon account, doubly so with an Amazon Prime Account (more on that later).  So how to connect the Fire to an Amazon account?  

If you purchase a Fire directly from Amazon you do nothing, the nice folks at Amazon set this up for you.  If you need to do it yourself it is an each process  I discovered in a few minutes of playing with a Fire in a store.  Just touch the gear Icon in the bar at the top of the screen.
This is probably a good place to mention The Touch Screen Factor.  The Fire has a touch screen.  Not a big deal and easy to handle on phones, even convenient.  The transition to a tablet or Fire takes a little getting used to.  The Fire has some weight to it, and you need to hang on to it.  Getting too grabby could mean accidentally clicking things.  This is where the generous bezel around the Fire’s screen comes in.  It seems excessive when just looking at the device, but pick one up and you’ll understand the benefit, whether by design or not.


Once the Fire and my Amazon account were linked the Fire immediately displayed my library of books.  The Fire also detected apps I've purchased from the Amazon Android app store and displayed them in a list with the option to install each app.  Not being an app-hoarder I chose a few to try on the Fire.  I'm not a person who has hundreds of apps and I also don't install everything on every device.
Next up: My first stumbles.


No comments: