Monday, August 06, 2012

Kindle Fire - Part 3


Part 3 - Kindle Fire Review - My First Stumbles

Getting the Kindle Fire set up wasn't flawless.  My first stumble was with configuring email.  There was no native exchange support, but the Kindle did graciously advise me to go to the app store to find an app for that.  It seemed like an odd thing to omit, it seems to show business users were not a top priority for the Kindle Fire designers.  Perhaps a mis-step, almost every Kindle Fire I've seen "in the wild" has been in the hands of a person travelling for business, with the occasional college student (usually female, presumably more women than men read books for leisure in college) thrown in.

ETA: The draft of this review included the above statement before Tech Crunch came out and confirmed my observation: More women than men use the Kindle Fire.  If you're a man, don't let that put you off, buy one and represent!  Or maybe you should wait, more on that in a later post.

My second stumble was when typing.  I wrote the first draft of this in the Evernote app on the Kindle Fire.  The stumble was with the placement of the period key. I was going to make a screen capture to illustrate my typing woes, but (a) screen capture on the fire is non-existent out of the box, a shortcoming of the Android 2.2 OS the Fire is based on, and (b) you get the idea without really seeing it, just imagine periods in lieu of every 3 out of four spaces.

Next up: Where for art thou, comma? / Editing / cover flow (K-version vs. Apple) / Setting settings, everywhere.



No comments: